COVID 19 Update – January 20, 2021 (cancellation of the remainder of the boys & girls basketball seasons).

Hello Georgetown Community,

  1. Today we embark on a new chapter in our country with the inauguration of a new President. Regardless of where each of us stands in terms of our political affiliations, we are all Americans and tomorrow is a time to come together to recommit to our democratic values and principles. Our schools will acknowledge the historical significance of this day and carry on with the curriculum. However, some classes may watch the ceremony as it represents the peaceful transition of power and it is the chance to see the democratic process in action. Every four years, there is a sense of optimism and hope for peace and prosperity and a commitment to country regardless of party. I am hoping that tomorrow will be a day of peace and unity and the country can put divisiveness aside and find some common ground even if just for this day. I wish President Trump the best in the future and Joe Biden the wisdom and courage to lead this country through this tumultuous time not as individual parties but as one United States of America.


  1. Canceling Basketball for the Rest of the Season I am sorry to announce that we are canceling the girls and boys varsity basketball program for the remainder of the season. About a month ago, after a lengthy discussion with our medical team, the School Committee, the Board of Health and our administrators we decided to go forward offering the basketball season with significant modifications. We reduced the number of players in the program by only offering varsity teams, Implemented safety measures and game modifications and limited the amount of exposure by eliminating spectators and ensuring there was social distancing in the stands.   Despite our best efforts, there has been a significant number of positive cases over the past week and a half on the coaching staff and players on both teams. Currently the entire boys and girls teams are quarantined for two weeks since all are considered close contacts because they were within 6 feet of each other for more than 15 minutes. Players are being tested and contact tracing has been done for each player. If more students test positive, this process will continue. When we agreed to move forward with the season, I said that if we saw an outbreak we would shut the program down. With three of four coaches testing positive and 8 out of 24 students testing positive this past week with numerous others with symptoms and awaiting test results, it is just not safe to continue with the program.   As you know, our priority is to keep our students in school and protect the health and well-being of our staff and students.


We have had no spread within the schools until this situation and we don’t want it to continue.   I know how much sports means to our athletes and how disappointing this news will be but the safety precautions have not gone far enough to keep the spread out of our school. Information about user fees will be forthcoming. This decision is effective immediately. Have a great night and let me know if you have any questions or comments at


Stay safe everyone!